Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gnomes and Fraud

We had another storm yesterday. School was cancelled for the boys. Sofie still had school and Cade went with her as he usually does on snow days. He read to the preschoolers and did all the states and capitals for them showing off some of the things he is learning in his school. Well, he already knew them so it's an easy A for him this semester. Speaking of which he is really motivated for some reason about school lately. Not that I am complaining in any way. Just curious. He is honor roll right now but by the time grades close he plans on having high honors. He would have them already but he is still making up work from when he was out with bronchitis.


Anyway, despite the snow Connor and I trudged out for his appointment. It wasn't until 10:30 and I am kicking myself for not calling after we got into town. I couldn't call at 6am to see if there was any cancellations. We went to the store and got a few things first. It wasn't the best driving but not too bad. The first boat to go back is at 10am. It turned out they had rescheduled his appointment for next Friday. I was so frustrated. Connor had asked to not go the night before and I was worried he was backing out. On the ride in however he said he was feeling like he really needed meds. Talk about back and forth thinking. He said either meds aka "happy pills" or a small gnome he could carry with him everywhere that would cheer him on. "Your doing a great job Connor!" "That was awesome!" I gave him a funny look. "A gnome?" He laughed and said he could carry it in his pocket, like the travelocity gnome. I gave him a serious look and asked him if this gnome was talking to him. He looked surprised then I laughed. He saw I was kidding and laughed back and I told him a gnome might be nice but he would have for feed it and what about his bathroom issues? So, I was kind of bitter to have him in the mood to be there and be open to talk and have it canceled. Not to mention we went into town for nothing. It was a nasty day as it was. Since we missed the 10am ferry we now had to wait for the 2:45pm. What to do. I was not going to be driving anywhere in that weather. I stopped off to get a prescription for Sofie and that wasn't going to be ready until Monday because they had to order it. Nice. Things were just rolling along. We parked and walked (in the windy snow drifts) to a building that had a record store, comic shop, video place and a pizza place in it. They also had a smoothie place but they closed and workers were in there renovating it. We browsed around in the record place a while. Connor wanted some more pics for his guitar. I found a movie for the kids for $3 we could watch for a movie night. Then we grabbed a small pizza to share for lunch. Dirt fell on my head from the ceiling while we ate. The renovation seemed to be going smoothly. Great. Then we window shopped the comic store. It was fun actually and we hung out in the pizza place a long time talking. I filled him in on some island scandals he didn't know about. I thought he did so that was interesting. I had stopped at the bank earlier to take out some money for parking and lunch. I can't use my ATM card because the bank froze it and is sending me a new card and PIN. Apparently some company had notified the bank a bunch of cards that had been on a hit list at some card processing place to use for fraud. My card was one of them. I checked my records for December like they wanted me too and thankfully nothing was touched but I have to wait until February for my new card. It's a bit of a hassle. We came home and I hoped and prayed Will and Cade shoveled the driveway like I had told them too. Well, the porch and a small path, from the porch to the driveway had a nice path, as for the driveway...they were shoveling when we got there. It was 4pm! They had waited until the last minute. I was not pleased. Also, it is too small. Cade and Connor have to go out again today to widen it. I get stuck every time I come or go. I got stuck coming home then twice more taking Cade and Sofie to movie night at school last night. I helped shovel just to get the car off the road yesterday afternoon. Connor had a shoveling job to go to so he had to take our shovel and leave so by the time he got back it was dark and the driveway was a lost cause until sometime today. Overall a day to test my patience. I didn't scream or kill anyone so I think I did a good job. I can only hope Connor will still be in a good mood like yesterday for next Friday. He sees his counselor on Monday. I am crossing my fingers.

0 comments:

Template by:
Free Blog Templates