Wednesday, February 9, 2011

FEMA Loggers on my road




I am the only person/family to live down on this end of the island in the winter. The fire road video is on the other end on the same side. Now, no one lives down there in the winter and the loggers worked down there first and I think forgot what it means to have to deal with other people. I have had to speak to the foreman (who I work for cleaning the houses they rent) that I need to them not to be blocking the road around 8am and 11am on weekdays because I take Sofie to school. I drive her because it is a bit of a walk for her especially when it is freezing out. We used to walk every morning until around the end of October. Things were good for about a week then they started blocking me again. Most of the time they would move pretty quickly and I am pretty patient knowing they have a job to do. There were a few sketchy times when the big tractor trailer truck came by me a little too close for my comfort. It is a very narrow road. I don't have a huge truck like they do that can drive in ditches if needed. In fact all the crap they have left on the road has been dragging under my car now and I can't get it out. *sigh* Anyway, yesterday I couldn't get Sofie to school at all. They were loading huge logs into a huge tractor trailer truck. I waited nearly 15 minutes and turned my engine off to not waste gas. I am nearly out. Finally I gave up and I had to drive home. Backwards. There isn't room to turn around. Up a hill. A steep hill. In a car that has trouble going up hills in forward. I was not pleased. I called the school and since I had already spoken the foreman once I let others do the displeased vocalizations. About 10 minutes later a friend was able to break through the lines and picked her up. I was able to go get her without trouble at 11am but on the way back home the road was again blocked and to top it off Gary our road crew guy was in between us, with a plow, headed right for me. I again had to reverse it back to the square. A shorter and less harrowing trip but since I loathe driving in reverse since I suck at it, was again not pleased. My problem with reverse is that I get my left and rights all screwed up. I have had this problem all my life so I don't see it improving any. A brain malfunction. We all have problems. Today the road was cleared. More phone calls had been made on my behalf. Here is the thing. They forget that I still have to come home after I drop her off. I was coming home today and I was nearly at the top of that big hill and there was the tractor trailer truck that I swear is out for my life like something from a Steven King novel. I could see the panic in the drivers eye (we were that close even though I was driving at a snails pace because of my intrepid island car) and I knew he had trouble stopping. I had to reverse down the hill and I tried to get back up to sneak past him. The car didn't want to make the hill. Reverse some more and try again. Make the top and can see, no room. Crap. Reverse again nearly a quarter of a mile to a slight space to hug the side of the road while he barrels past. I get slightly stuck since I am really in a snow filled ditch covered in ice. Engine begins to smoke but I get out and make it home. I am beginning to think I would rather go without the cleaning money to get these guys away from me, along with the killer truck.

0 comments:

Template by:
Free Blog Templates