Thursday, December 30, 2010

Tears

It's been a quiet week so far. I have been catching up on my school work and spending some time for myself. Still, feeling a little stuffy and blowing my nose I have been resting and sleeping in which has been so wonderful. I feel a little spoiled. Especially last night. The power went out and there was nothing else to do but go to bed anyway. We got power back sometime during the night so we never got cold at all. On another note, I did put all the Christmas decorations away though so I have been doing something.


I have been missing Sofie and Cade though. You never think you would miss squabbling and loud noises but you do. Connor, Will and I were hanging out in the living room talking about this and that and watching some tv when the phone rang. The fact Connor was hanging out with us and not squirreled away in his room was a pretty big deal. A good sign. Connor handed me the phone and Cade was on the other end. He quickly told me without preamble Sofie was having a real tough time ever since she got to their dad's and finally snapped. He said she was screaming at them and told off Kathryn, her daughter and even the little toddler saying how they were brats and witches and mean and how she hated them. Just screaming. I could hear her crying in the background and Cade said how Sean just told her to apologize to them and sent her to her room. Cade got her and brought her to his room and held her while she cried then called me with the phone I had given him because she was calling for me and wouldn't stop. He gave her the phone. He had said all this info very fast so I was feeling kind of shocked. I could barely understand her she was so choked up. She said how much she missed me and how she loved me so much. Then she said, "I hate this family. I don't ever want to come back." She said she couldn't come home for three more days and she asked that when she did come back to never have to go back to "this horrible place ever again." All I could to was tell her how much I missed her and loved her and would be seeing her soon. While she was on the phone Kathryn interrupted telling her she was going to give her cucumbers on her salad for dinner. Sofie was not pleasant to her at all. Sofie viciously told her, "Get out of my face! I hate cucumbers!" I have never, never heard her have so much venom in her voice before. Kathryn left for obvious reasons. Later on Cade told me his dad had tried to force feed Sofie peas the day before by holding her mouth open with his hand then stuffing them in her mouth with his other hand. The reaction was predicable. She threw up all over him. She is four and I won't sugar coat it and say she is a great eater. She can be picky but when she is feeling well with no cold or flu she is perfectly willing to try new things and retry things she hasn't liked in the past. I always make sure to have the healthy things I know she likes available and then have her sample what we eat. So, let's say we are having peas and squash. Peas something I already know she doesn't like and squash is the new item. I will also have raw carrots which I know she loves as a back up veggie I know she will eat. I will have her try the peas. One or two, plain or with light butter or something. If that's a no go then we move on the the new veggie. If she likes it great, if not then it goes on the keep trying until she finally likes it list. Sometimes it how it is prepared that makes all the difference with someone. Will hates squash with a passion but he isn't a picky eater at all. We all have things we don't like. Still, I found one kind, prepared a specific way that he really likes. I do the raw carrots because Cade and Sofie love them raw but despise them cooked. Connor and Will prefer them cooked. Trial and error but worth it to make sure your kids eat a healthy meal. To force feed a kid? Well, not worth the mess when the puke on you. I can see it leading to an eating disorder, especially for a girl. If they are really hungry they will eat. If you make sure the choices are all healthy ones then there won't be much of a choice. Sean asked Cade if I force feed her too. Cade told him I didn't of course. Then said, "You should have given her green beans. She likes those." Cade failed to tell him she only likes them french style. See? Kids are weird. Anyway, I found out despite the whole pea fiasco they were having salad and split pea soup for dinner. Split pea. I wonder if Sofie ate anything after we hung up. Going back and forth between them I was on the phone for an hour. Sofie asked for Willy and Connie to speak with them as well. Will also could barely understand her. She kept asking for me periodically to make sure I was still there and have me reassure her she was not going to stay there forever and would be home soon. She said she wanted to snuggle with me and told me to not to watch any movies until she got home so we could watch them together. It was such a heartbreaking call. I felt so helpless. I couldn't hug her or dry her tears. Just awful. I asked Cade how he was doing and he said, "I'm managing. I have Sofie and my gameboy so I'm good. I am in my room mostly or playing with Sofie." He knew he had to give Sofie extra support just from him. It's sad he is so aware he has to do that and yet so sweet and kind that he does and isn't pushing her away which he could. He is only 11 after all.

On other news, Sean agreed and signed the court papers and sent them to my lawyer. I have to go into town and sign them with a witness and everything will be set. We won't have to go back to court. Sean is held to a stricter agreement concerning what he owed and the consequences. I am waiting to hear back from my lawyer now about coming into town tomorrow to sign them. I only found out about the papers this morning so I hope they will be open tomorrow.

Good news, bad news....same ol' same ol' I guess.

1 comments:

Carol said...

"Cade told me his dad had tried to force feed Sofie peas the day before by holding her mouth open with his hand then stuffing them in her mouth with his other hand. "

O. M. G. That is one of the most horrible things I've heard about Sean in a long time--to me, that sounds abusive-- but unfortunately, when I examined that in my mind, it's probably the kind of abuse that the authorities probably won't care about :-(

This entire episode just broke my heart reading it, I can't imagine how helpless you must have felt....

I know it was a while ago, since I haven't been here for a while, but you have my deepest empathy.

Template by:
Free Blog Templates