Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Where have I been?


We had a pretty nasty storm here last Thursday. About 10pm the power went out. No big deal right? Well, Friday morning I kept the older boys home from school because there were trees down and live wires in the road. We are the only house with year round people on the south end of the island. We were cut off. Luckily I had one working cell phone, without power my home phone doesn't work. I was supposed to bring the younger kids to see Sean for the weekend. That wasn't happening. I left him two messages.

It was warm enough so we weren't cold and I had water anyway and I had just refreshed all the candles and flashlight batteries. We really didn't know how bad it was. Finally around late afternoon the trees were moved enough by other islanders so we could get out and another off island family let us stay in their home as long as we needed to. We just got power back to the house late Tuesday night and moved back in today. Power had been restored the all of the other year round houses that Friday night it was just us that had to wait so long. The north end was hit worse than us. It is still without power and the roads impassable. Hundreds of trees went down. On the funny side, just by our house there was little damage. In fact, we had some banana boxes on the porch that never moved! The only "damage" was my two trash can lids flew away. I found them Friday before we "moved". My food was fine because we had a generator lent to us by another islander that we ran once a day to run the freezer and fridge for a while. It also kept our fish alive.

When we got to the neighbors house late on Friday I talked with the mom of the kid I watch about work and she said she saw Sean waiting for us at the bay lines and he asked her where we were. She told him we were probably still trapped (we were) and after I hung up with her he finally called the cell number I gave him to call me back on. He said he got my messages. Ha. So I filled him in. I told he could come out to get them on Saturday. I couldn't take them because I had my first all day class for CPR. He declined.

It has been a wild week. No internet at the other house so I couldn't update. The beds were hard and I finally slept on the couch there. It was very comfy. We were "downtown". Cade was only steps away from school. He loved that. Connor didn't want to stay with us. He had heard the house was haunted. The first night Cade came into the bedroom I was in when I was half asleep and scared the living daylights out of me. Here I was thinking about haunted houses and he was just standing by my bed in the dark. I screamed. Eventually, I made Connor stay with us. He got sick with a fever for two days. He's fine now. We didn't run into any ghosts thankfully.

I managed to study somehow. I have my first quiz on Thursday. My brain is mush. I'm sore from sneezing. New enviroments make my eyes water and stuff. I get used to it after a few days. Now, of course I'm home again. :)

Check out the video from our local news station about the storm. It's focus is our island. You can see some of the damage. I will post some pictures soon.

Local News Coverage w/video



2 comments:

Carol said...

I'm so glad you're all ok....I had kind of followed the storm on the news (because I have a friend who lives in Maine (LOL--that's you!)) and was hoping that it wasn't too bad where you were at....I guess I was wrong.....

I read this post the other day, and I was SURE that I had left you a comment on it, but apparently that was all in my imagination :-)

perphila said...

NP...:) I live in my imagination frequently. There I am thin, rich and very smart. lol

Template by:
Free Blog Templates