Thursday, September 2, 2010

Emotionally Drained

Everything went as bad as could be expected and then some on Tuesday. I forgot to bring my anti-anxiety meds and just did some deep breathing while I waited at Connor's counselor's office waiting for him to show up. I sat there wondering about this supposed session Sean had scheduled for us also for 10 am and just couldn't understand how he thought it would be ok for us to have a session at the same time all the way across town to leave Connor here by himself. One of at least should be there to talk to the counselor either before or after and voice our concerns and talk about scheduling the next session. While I pondered that, time came and went for the appointment time and I began to think they may not show up. It was almost 15 minutes after when Sean came in alone and asked me what I was doing there. That rather confused me and I said I was here for Connor's appointment. He asked me if I was going to go to "our" session and I said I didn't see how it was going to be possible to be at two places at once. I had scheduled this appointment over a week ago and only knew about this other one he was talking about last night. I couldn't even call the office to confirm if the appointment was really for us like he was claiming or if it was just for him like last time. He got angry and asked me if I got his email. I told him I hadn't gotten anything the last time I checked which was at 9pm Monday night and I had to catch the 6am ferry that morning and never had a chance to check. He told me, "Isn't that nice." I ignored that and asked why. He said Connor didn't want me there. I was surprised and asked why. Sean told me Connor wanted to have a session to himself. I said that was fine. He usually does anyway. I had a few things I wanted talk over with his counselor so he knew what concerns I had and then we could go over when to have the next session. This wasn't any different then how we had done things in the past or with Cade. Sean told me if I was there then it wasn't happening. I just sat there stunned. He said Connor didn't want me there just to further my own agenda. I didn't even ask what the hell that meant because I darn well knew Connor never said that. He would never use that phrase. Agenda? Then he went on to tell me how "our" session was scheduled first. I asked him if that was so then why did he only tell me about it yesterday. Why didn't he let me know when I emailed him over a week ago about Connor's session. I could have rescheduled it or if I had known Connor didn't want me there I could have not bothered to show up and I could have called the counselor myself with my concerns and not have wasted a trip to town, loss of pay and the cost of a babysitter. If I had known ahead of time about this supposed appointment I could have called the counselor and double checked myself if this was really co-parenting or if this was for him and/or his family. He told me whoever I spoke to before didn't know what they were talking about and he was telling me it was co-parenting. I told him I knew what he was referred for. If this was co-parenting then when he went into his intake session he didn't ask for what he was referred for. If that was the case, if all he asked for was co-parenting then I darn well should have been there after all last time. How can he expect me to believe him when he tells me one thing and the office tells me another? On top of that, they never even called me to give me the "reminder" call they always give me. If there was something scheduled for me personally then I should have gotten a call which I didn't. He was even angrier with me and went on to tell me how I always make it seem like he is the one not interested in therapy yet I was the one not coming. I told him I had everything set up months ago and he refused to come. He said I knew why he didn't come and I said I knew what his excuse was and I didn't believe it for a second. The he went on to say how I only have this narrow window, he even used his fingers to show me how small it was, to come and how I am making it hard and how he was making himself more available. I had enough. I told him he knew why I came to town once a week and this went all the way back to our previous sessions when he didn't always show up. I couldn't be coming to town three days a week and miss out on work, which is busiest for me in the summer, and pay sitter costs just on the off chance this is a legitimate session. That is why if I knew when he made the appointment I could have verified it myself. On top of that I still was making myself available any time after Cade's sessions and would fit my own stuff around whatever time was best for him. He just kept repeating himself how he was telling me this is what it was and that should be the end of it. I reminded him the last session he told me was for us wasn't, so why should I believe him this time? Then he tried to upset me. He said the judge wouldn't be happy with me if I didn't come. I just told him the judge will be just as unhappy with him for not coming last July. He changed tactics and said how he was more committed than me because he was making himself more available. I told him he was more available because he didn't have a job. Maybe he should get one and pay all his child support so I wouldn't have to work 12 hour days. Then I also could also be more available. He threw his hands up in the air and walked out.


I sat there shaking for about 5 minutes and trying not to cry. I felt bad I talked back the way I did. I always figure I should be more adult about it but I was glad to be able to see him try and manipulate me into getting scared when he mentioned the judge. I finally got up and checked the windows to see if he was still there. I wondered if Connor would come in. They were gone. Then I realized I really didn't even know if Connor was even in the car like Sean said he was. Maybe he never even planned on coming. Of he was then Connor never even came inside so say hello to me. I wanted to cry all over again. Just what did I do to make him want to avoid me like this? I went to the front desk and told them Connor wasn't coming. Sean never bothered to cancel or tell them. I asked if I could could speak to the counselor myself. He came down and we went up and Sean called him. I sat there while Sean told him how I refused to leave and Connor wanted his own session and I wanted to muscle my way in. I then explained to the counselor why I was really there and how I had no idea Connor didn't want me there and my suspicion he may not have even been there at all. I never refused to leave. I was never asked to leave by Connor. Sean just told me if I was there it wasn't happening. To not even say hello seems beyond even Connor but who knows. I was a little concerned how the counselor thought this was just teenage pendulum swinging. I agreed he was like that certainly but it was from one side to the other in extremes which is what concerns me. Wanting to live with his dad is one thing but to cut out not just me but his siblings too? Even if he has issues with me then why his brothers and sister too? He was just going too far. He even told me if he had a problem with me he would tell me and talk to me and wouldn't be cowardly about it but it seems it was just another empty promise. Just him saying what he thinks the person he is talking to wants to hear and then just going ahead and doing what he wants anyway. That was just too much like his dad for my tastes. I know what lies at the end of that road. I am done though. I am not scheduling anything else for him and he just going to have to sink or swim on his own. He will be on his own. Sean has no idea what to do. I told him to make sure Connor had his calculator for school for example. It costs about $80-$100 and is required. I was able to get one free last year and I asked Connor before he left if he had it. He said he did. I asked him again when I talked with him on the phone a little over a week ago and he said it was in his bag. I have it in my closet. I found it yesterday while cleaning. He lied to get me off his back I guess. Now Sean will have to shell out the money to buy a new one or Connor will get a fail mark for not being prepared. I'm certainly not going to tell him I have it. If he asks I will give it to him. I am sick of being lied to.

I got home and was cranky. My head hurt, I was dehydrated, it was freaking hot and all I wanted to do was rest. Of course I had to field phone calls after that and emails and never rested. I didn't get to bed until after 9pm. Sean emailed me and told me how wrong I was for not leaving and how it was my fault Connor didn't have his session today. I did respond later to that and said how he was the one who left with Connor not me. I wanted to say he was also the one who canceled Connor's last session but didn't. He told me how he always respected the kids wishes to not come and how it was a glaring double standard for me to not go. I answered that too and said how if I had known ahead of time I wouldn't have been there but there was no reason for me to leave once I was there. I could have said hi to Connor, said my thing to the counselor alone and left Connor to have his session. It wasn't a big deal. He had blindsided me so how did he expect me to react? Then he got condescending about how much he was sure I was hurt by it and how he has gone through the same thing. Please. I haven't done anything to Connor. Connor told Cade he didn't want to be here because I make him do to many chores. As if. Not a good enough reason. That is nothing compared to how nasty Sean treated him for years.

So, this is long enough. All this crap was forwarded to the lawyer and now we are trying to pick a date to meet up. Sean also said he didn't think Connor needed his physical which is set for tomorrow. I told him there was no reason not to. The cost was covered by insurance and he has one every year like he should. Even if he doesn't like it he should go and once he is 18 then he can decide for himself but until then he should go. Sean didn't answer me about that. I don't think he will be there tomorrow. I hoping he won't. I will just tell the lawyer and use that as well as all this counseling stuff to have Sean removed from making medical decisions for Connor. I am sick of this.

1 comments:

Carol said...

a) you are WAY more patient with this crap than I could possibly be, and that's a good thing, I think...

b) when I read your responses to Sean, I wanted to stand up and cheer! You're not his doormat any more, way to go!!!!

c) don't blame yourself for any of this. No matter what Sean says or tries, you are doing everything you can, and you know what is true, no matter how he tries to get you to second-guess yourself.

d) I am pretty sure that Connor will come around to seeing the reality of the situation. It may take some "tough love", though, like the calculator thing, or maybe even more than that....because on the surface he'll have it so "easy" there for a while....I honestly don't think it'll last, though...Connor has a fragile ego and Sean isn't equipped to deal with that. You are.

I just wish Sean would go away!

Template by:
Free Blog Templates