Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am now immobile. It was just me and the kids today and it was really nice. Of course they bickered like they do every day but it was all good. We watched the Macy's parade on tv and I did my food prep stuff at the table so I could watch with them. Sofie was thrilled with the Hello Kitty balloon and Santa. Connor was in and out of the room. He really is a stereotypical teenager. At least he did dishes off and on while I was prepping so we wouldn't have so much after dinner with little complaint. We slept in to 7am. I couldn't believe Sofie slept so late but I wasn't complaining any. I got the turkey in around 7:30. I had been worried it wouldn't be thawed enough last night but it was just right this morning. Luck was with me. I didn't get crazy with the meal. No Martha Stewart cheesecloth turkeys and funky roots this year. I did my turkey like I would do a chicken. Sofie was a great helper. She was interested in being a helper this year. She is really growing up. The boys didn't want mashed potatoes and asked for herb roasted ones. Super. Less work for me! Then I made some simple green beans and a raw veggie thing for Cade and Sofie. They really don't like cooked vegetables. They will nibble on the raw ones all day though. Again, not something to complain about. As long as they eat them right? I made homemade biscuits and stuffing. I was going to make a pumpkin cheesecake but I didn't have any pumpkin. I was shocked. I ALWAYS have a can of pumpkin or squash around. So now what do I do? I made mint chocolate cookies instead and a pumpkin bread. The bread was a box mix but they didn't care. I let them have juice (except Sofie) in wineglasses and of course I made gravy. I have finally learned to make it without lumps. I didn't freak about it and took my time. I didn't worry about not having all the stuff I needed and went by the seat of my pants. It was nice. The food was done earlier than I expected and I was again pleased. We went around the table saying what we were grateful for and Sofie made us laugh. She went last so she could see us and know what to do when her turn came. So I said, "Ok Sofie, what are you grateful for this year?" Sofie sat there with her hands clasped together and said, "I am grateful for Dora the Explorer. Amen."


oh, and no call from dad for the holiday. The kids call their grandparents and talked with their aunts. Sean hadn't called his parents either. He did wish his brother in Colorado a Happy Thanksgiving through Facebook on a thread started by his brother. Not his kids though. I really wonder how he lived with himself.

1 comments:

Carol said...

Sure glad Sean's got his priorities straight. Someday he'll be sorry for treating all of his loved ones the way he has...

It is really pathetic that he can't take the time to make a phone call. Just pathetic. I'm so angry on your kids' behalfs.

Template by:
Free Blog Templates