Thursday, November 19, 2009

Half Decent Day

Ok, the school guidance counselor came out to the island today. It's been a while since she has been here. She came to the house and we had some one on one time (which was really great for me) and I was able to catch her up on how Cade was doing. She brought us a food card as a Thanksgiving treat which was really nice. She was really impressed at my commitment at keeping the kids in therapy even with the extra effort of having to bring them in town. Not easy I can tell you.


Then Cade had his school conference. He is doing great. He has had some frustration issues but not like last year. My keeping him out for the morning the few times I did it was endorsed and not criticized. After all, if he only going to get snarly at people then he isn't doing himself an favors and it's also disruptive to the whole school. There isn't another room there for people to "cool off". It's one room school house after all. He was given a lot of praise on how he treats the younger students. He is starting to develop the school is school and home is home mind set like Will does. He answers questions but doesn't elaborate. He still shares how he is doing with the friends outside of school which is good for him. Sofie was great at the school today. She was "reading" and doing puzzles and following directions. She was saying, "no thank you" to snacks and sharing. She really fit right in. The teachers are really hoping the preschool program is approved for the spring or next year.

Then my car was looked at again today. The guy helping out thinks it's the alternator. I am grateful for the help but the guy is a little creepy. He is getting a new one and hopefully it will be running in a week or so. Then he asks me..."What do you like?" I had no idea what he meant. So I said, "Lot's of things. What do you mean?" He said, "Well, do you like chocolate or something?" I could see where this was going and said, "Well, my mama raised me right and said I should be thankful for whatever I am given." He looked at me kinda funny and I was laughing on the inside at his expression. He is creepy. Seriously. As he was leaving a friend came over to pick up some water I had saved for her( I have better drinking water than she does) and she said, "Don't you think he is a little creepy?" Ha ha. So I told her the story and I told her it was a good thing she was married. She said if she wasn't she would just pound him anyway. Also she didn't think he could fix my car. I kinda knew that anyway and I have someone else coming to look at it but I didn't want to be mean.

Speaking of friends I am going out tomorrow night with a few of them. A girls night. We are going to see New Moon and stay overnight in town. We are meeting up with another friend who can't go with us because of work for dinner. All of us are from the island. One friend said..."Well, would you look at that? My calendar says I might actually have a social life!" On Saturday I am meeting up with Will for a school craft fair for a little bit then I am going up the coast with one of the "girls" to go a bookstore/antique shop. I used to go there every year. I went with my dad then I showed Sean and we went there together. We even went there one year during our anniversary because the inn we stayed at was nearby. I haven't been there since he left and I don't want to not do the things I used to because of him and all the memories that feel tainted now. We used to bring the kids with us too. I don't plan on buying anything. Maybe a few books since they are all used and I can get 4 for a dollar sometimes. I can get xmas gifts if I am a savvy shopper. I am really looking forward to being a person and not just a mom for a few days. I won't even be near the older boys really. It's kind of scary too. It has been a long time. I am doing this on purpose. I have to be me to be a good mom. My old therapist would be proud.

Will is going to be in town until Saturday. He is actually involved in a school function (shock) and has to be at the school early to help out. Fund raiser and craft fair. So he is staying with a friend for two nights. They love him there and always tell him he can stay anytime. Who knew good manners would pay off right? Sean lives in town but Will would rather be set on fire than stay with him. It just isn't an option for him. The mom Will is staying with has met Sean and let's just say he didn't leave a favorable impression. Another reason she is so glad to have Will there.

Cade has therapy tomorrow. It has been a few weeks. Scheduling and stuff. I am so glad he has it even though I really don't want to get up at 5am and freeze walking to the boat.

I got paid today. I call it "my better than nothing" checks. All my checks are like that. Still, it's enough to pay for my parking next month and ferry tickets for two weeks. Now I hope I can make enough for the rent. If I get my child support, even a third of it I will be fine. Here's hoping.

0 comments:

Template by:
Free Blog Templates