Tuesday, November 24, 2009


Maybe my moral compass is skewed. I dunno. There are just some things that seems so wrong even when I try so hard to see it from different perspectives. As I mentioned earlier I went away to have some girls time this weekend. That is a whole other post. While we were going over the island gossip. There really isn't a nice word for it. I found out something that really upset me. I mentioned a while back, about 6-7 months ago a dear friend who lived here passed away. It was a real shock at the time. She found out she had advanced cancer and only lived two months after her diagnoses. She taught Will violin, was the founder of our book group and helped our family many times after Sean left. Anyway, I found out her husband was getting remarried. Not only that but he had moved in with her best friend (another island lady and one of my bosses) only two weeks after she died. Not only THAT they announced their plans to marry last month at that lady's daughter's wedding. I had heard from Will a few months ago the rumor he was going to sell his house and move in with her but the idea was too outrageous to believe. My friend had only been gone two months at the time. I never gave the rumor credence. On top of that he didn't sell his house in the end so I never gave it another thought. I guess the lady had spent a lot of time at the hospital during the final days and I guess they bonded. Not to healthy a foundation for marriage in my opinion but what do I know? I also know my friend knowing the end was near would have told her husband to be happy and remarry someday. She was always a generous person and loved her husband. They had been together for more than 35 years. Is it me? Does this seem too quick? Maybe if I heard that they were starting to date I wouldn't be so stunned. When the whole kit and kaboodle comes out at how fast the whole thing really was then I start squirming. Almost everyone who knows is plain disgusted with both of them. One questions if they were having an affair before. I don't think so. Is he rebounding? Is is some scummy male who can't live without a woman? They are both wealthy and retired. They can travel the world together. They certainly haven't been out here at all but living in her house in town. Also, to announce it at her daughter's wedding. Steal the bride's thunder much? How thoughtless! To your own daughter on her special day. I can only wonder what her ex-husband and father of the bride thought? He is my landlord by the way. Why get married so quickly? Why not just date? I think it is a terrible thing to my friends memory. Who knows why people do what they do and think what they think. I do want him to be happy but this just seems like a bad idea. The lady in question as well....she was divorced from her second husband only two months before Sean left us. She had said only last winter she didn't think she would marry again. I am beginning to become more and more jaded with the world at large.

2 comments:

Carol said...

That would really upset me, too. Even if there was "nothing" going on, they had to know "what people would think", and the fact that they apparently didn't care is very troubling.

I guess, since none of us will ever know what the truth is, that we can at least be grateful that your friend didn't learn of an affair at the same time she was dealing with a terminal illness...

I don't think your moral compass is skewed--there's a reason why "tradition" dictates that people wait a certain amount of time before remarrying after their spouse passes.

It sounds like a rebound thing to me. A lady I used to work with did something kind of similar....her husband passed away, and I think it was only a couple of months later that she married a guy from work. But everyone pretty much knew that they hadn't been seeing each other beforehand, they just said things like "she just can't be alone" and "she is just one of those women who needs a man..." Sometimes I wonder if they are still married, but she doesn't work with me any more....Time will tell, I guess...

perphila said...

It's not like I think people should go around wearing black for a whole year after the passing of a spouse. I am not dwelling on the whole thing. It was just a real shock to hear about and I am disgusted. yuck.

Template by:
Free Blog Templates