Tuesday, November 3, 2009

More of the same crap

So, did a little digging with the school about all the crap Sean sent me today. He is so full of nonsense I could cry. Still, I looked into things anyway. I need to talk with Connor about his conference date for next week and remind him once again to remember to get a note from his teachers if he is going to be late for his next class if he gets held up in his previous class so he doesn't get marked tardy. He has to get over the fact HE thinks it's a stupid rule. After all he goes to all his classes and gets all his work done. Rules are rules though and even if he is doing the right thing by talking to his teachers about getting any late work done if it make him late for the next class he gets marked tardy without a note. The teachers he talks with should be giving him the notes as well but ultimately it is HIS responsibility since the person who is most affected is him. Still, all in all a minor issue in the big picture of things. I am not looking to talking with Connor because he gets all defensive right off the bat even if I am not one stitch upset with him. He just is ready to battle no matter what. Patience and a huge Valium would be nice but since I don't have any drugs I gotta go with the patience thing. I have chosen to not respond to Sean at this time. There is not point in escalating things further. I have mulled it over and communication is the best thing. The circumstances for that sadly are not currently in the equation. I sincerely believe that if I responded that no matter what I said even if I agreed with everything he said would end up in an argument. He is looking for a fight and I am not going to give him an excuse. I am also aware that not saying anything will also be construed as being a non co-parent like behavior from me. There again I have the weigh the evils and I think this one is the one to equal the least amount of strife for the time being. If Connor does have issues concerning school, VALID ones then I will inform Sean as I would have done anyway. I have been following his progress as it is and the implied statements from Sean that I wasn't irk me. When I see things slide I say something. When he misses school I remind him to check with his teachers for make up work. There is such a thing as self owner ship that needs to be considered. One of the things about the school is the fact it really encourages it's students to become self reliant. To be responsible for your own actions and work. To learn there are consequences to actions. That is why it is a pass or fail school. No A, B, C grades. You do the work and show the effort and show you really understand the material you pass. If not you fail. That's it. Your effort is also taken into consideration there. You may get an A on your test but it was obvious that your effort was lacking your grade drops. You have to pass the what the call HOW (Habits of Work) as well to get a well rounded pass mark. It's tough no question. Most students are taking college courses by their senior year and the first graduating class ALL went on to college. Connor needs this for his personality for sure. Stepping back to let your kids prove themselves and yet be observant enough to offer encouragement when needed is a tight rope dance for sure. One that Sean has no clue how to do. He has NO understanding of the school itself. It is like none other in the state and has educators from other countries come to observe and model after it. Will was one of the students chosen to represent the school last year when some of them came and he was also chosen to help the home ec teacher and just five students cooked lunch in 4 courses to 500 hundred people. What an opportunity. ok...enough...Connor will be home soon.


One more thing to piss me off today. I just found out that Sean had been expecting me to send a Halloween costume with Sofie for her. Can you believe that?

1 comments:

Carol said...

DD had a huge problem with unexcused tardies....and with her disability it was hard for her to understand the cause/effect thing, i.e., why being tardy was a bad thing....so we told her that if she went a whole month without an unexcused tardy, we would do something fun that she got to pick (within reason) and she was able to do that. She still gets unexcused tardies now, but not like before...that school sounds really great--I wish there was something similar for DD....

Template by:
Free Blog Templates