Friday, February 5, 2010

What's Cookin' Friday 3

Must go to store.


We are out of milk. Sofie has been drinking the dry milk with cocoa powder. She loves it. I will be giving her half and half in the future to make milk last I think. I already use the dry milk to cook with. It really helps to conserve. We are almost out of everything but canned veggies. Pickin's are slim. We had oatmeal this morning (the last of it) and dry cereal as snack. I have had two cups of tea. I am out of fruit now. Juice as well. We even used up our powdered mixes. Since we are taking the noon boat today we will be eating lunch out. I am thinking of grabbing salads or sandwiches at the grocery store and using our food stamps. It is much cheaper. As for dinner I may get that there as well. We will be unloading all our groceries when we get home at seven and that will take at least an hour to do. I am thinking we will have at LEAST 10 banana boxes of food to put away. I also have to stop at wal-mart and get some basic supplies. Toliet paper, pull-ups, wipes, shampoo....stuff like that. If I have time I will hit the dollar store. The only reason I go to wal-mart in the first place it so buy in bulk which is have to do with so many of us. Also, there are some things I just can get at the dollar store. I will have to get a friend to help drive us home bc my car is still toast. At least food wise we can make some healthy and cheap choices by buying at the grocery store. The one thing we can't get are the warm foods. Like soup. Food stamps doesn't cover anything hot. Not even a cup of coffee. Good thing I don't like coffee. I will post what we ate tomorrow.

We are having company this weekend so we really need the food. Cade is upset because he has to see Sean this weekend. He wanted to ask to stay since he hasn't seen our company in months but he is afraid to ask. The last time he did even though his dad agreed over the phone when Cade saw him next his dad yelled at him and told him he was never agreeing again and Cade had better not ever ask again. Sean likes to use his size and volume to intimidate. That isn't going to work when all his sons outgrow him. He should think about that.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Do you have WIC in Maine? (Women, Infants, Children)....? If you're not familiar with it, you might want to check into it....they give you vouchers for milk and cereal, etc., for the kids.....for people with lower incomes, but it's not the same thing as food stamps at all...we have gone without milk for long periods of time (but we don't have a little girl any more....just a big one)....DD drinks the milk so fast, and wastes it when we have cereal (she drowns the cereal, no matter what I say, and then won't drink the cereal milk), I hate buying it. I do know that you can make macaroni and cheese with just the box/dinner and butter/margarine....not quite as good, but it works in a pinch--or when you started the meal, not realizing that DD had drank (or wasted) an entire gallon of milk since breakfast....

perphila said...

My issue is getting into town. I don't want to spend $9 for a ferry ticket just to get milk and bread. I try to buy in bulk. I get about 9 gallons at a time and freeze it. Then thaw as needed using the dry milk to supplement or have as backup if we run out. I have been trying to stay on island for longer periods to work. I have to two big freezers plus the one in the fridge full. A part of island life. That and a generator so none gets wasted if the power goes. We have WIC here too but Sofie is too old now. God we have so much peanut butter from that program. That and tuna. It is really hard to use too because you have to buy only certain brands and then those brands have to be certain sizes. I have made so many mistakes even when I thought I was doing it right. I have never felt so stupid. I feel worse for those people who don't speak English as a first language.

Template by:
Free Blog Templates