Friday, June 11, 2010

The Skinny

Yesterday was a very long day. Starting with the 6am ferry then a visit with Cade's counselor. It went well. I went in to talk first and we were chatting about Sean coming in to visit the day before. She was just informing him of Cade's return to therapy and that she knew he had been seen there before and why Cade was seeing her and not the guy Cade saw previously (he's on extended vacation). She told him about going through the getting to know you sessions and then asked Sean for his thoughts. She said he was very distant, cold and very guarded. He was cooperative and answered all her questions of course. He wanted to know why he hadn't been told earlier about Cade coming to therapy. I am sure he will try and use that fact I didn't say anything against me. Therapy is a ongoing process and he knows where Cade goes, he is well aware that if Cade is refusing to see him then there is a serious issue that needs to be resolved. She told him she had meant to contact him earlier but hadn't gotten to it yet and it was my prompt that reminded her. He gave his version of the stealing issue and I was a little angry at how one the one hand in his legal statement he uses the "stealing" issue as a main point saying his "certainty" of Cade's stealing and that if Cade lives with him during the week he could combat this, yet to the counselor he stated he can't be sure where the money went. She (the counselor) was saying to Cade this may be an issue where their both may have to agree to disagree. Cade was not very receptive to this but is considering it. I will have to chat with her later about Sean's proclivity to say what he thinks the therapists and counselors want to hear then doing what he wants anyway. Anyway, she asked me about what Sean was like because she was seeing from Cade and even from me how open and warm we are, how easy our relationship is and how extremely different this is from Sean's behavior. So, I went back to the beginning, his childhood with an verbally abusive alcoholic parent, the physical abuse he witnessed, his own anger issues when we were first married and how he resolved this by intimidation, punching walls and smashing things he knew was important to me until his ultimate things with the prostitute and sex lines. How he was just mentally crushed at that time crying and unable to understand why he was doing these things. She just answered, "addictive behavior". I shrugged and told her of the first time he entered therapy and how happy he was about learning to recognize when he was getting angry but in retrospect I believed how Sean quit rather suddenly and would not go back when I asked him to. I think this was because they were beginning to get to the whys of his actions and that was too much for Sean. Also he learned to recognize his anger but just buried it instead and got very passive aggressive. She smiled and said that is exactly what Cade is doing and is what we are trying to work through. Cade came in after that had his chat alone then I came back in and we talked about when we might be bringing Sean in to talk. Not for a few more weeks anyway. We are back to weekly visits though.


The lawyer. It will be $3500 to hire him. My visit there yesterday he didn't charge me for which was really nice. This is what we did. He read Sean's papers to modify the divorce. We went over the points of it with my responses. Then he sat back and shook his head. This is basically more of the same stuff Sean argued the first time. Some of it was contradicting and overstated. He was very confused how Sean could say he was fine mentally and still be drawing disability for mood disorder. I had no answer. The lawyer has a brother with bipolar and noted much of the same thinking issues going on. Sean does NOT have a lawyer. I guess he thinks because he is a debate coach he will have no problems arguing his points in court. Okay. So the lawyer suggested co-parenting counseling again. I told him I wasn't adverse to it and explained why the sessions we did have ended before. Sean's, lack of commitment to attend even though he said he wanted to be there and the fact he would agree to something then do what he wanted anyway which led is us having to resolve issues in therapy instead of learning and implementing tools to do this ourselves. He said most likely what would happen anyway in court would be a judge ordering us to do therapy anyway and then maybe high conflict resolution mediation, another GAL and then a final court date. He said once I retain him he would draft a response to Sean's complaint then attach the name of the guy he recommends we should see for therapy and see what Sean does. If Sean says no then it will just be another nail in the coffin for him showing how he doesn't want to resolve this in another way. Next week I think I am going to call the guy. The lawyer is going to see the guy anyway today and tell him about us an that we might call. The guy does all kinds of different therapies. Individual (which is why I am going to call, even if Sean says no I know I will need some help through this), family and men's counseling. He does a lot of work with abusive men which Sean is, even if it's not all physical. Then I need to go the main IRS branch and get copies of all the paperwork so we can get Sean to pay what he owes. I also need to go to the dental office next Wednesday so I will get a copy of everything and get a written statement that they submitted the bill for last September and what happened to it. I got a letter in the mail from DHHS on Tuesday. It was a copy of the papers sent to Sean telling him he needed to pay right away this week and that they were in the process of taking all his licences. His drivers licence and any teaching ones he might have. The lawyer noted that as well. So....what to do, what to do?

1 comments:

Carol said...

Jeez. I wonder why Sean would try this right now? Nothing so obvious as "I don't have the money for support because I'm stupid, so now they're taking my license(s) away, unless I can get them to change their mind(s)...." You know...he operates on about the same level as my DD. And that's not a compliment (guess you know that!)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates