Thursday, December 17, 2009

Did I say I was working?

Work for today was cancelled again. Her car was fixed and they took the train down to pick it up today. So it's a wash. Tomorrow isn't happening because they are doing their xmas shopping instead.


Cade has tomorrow off school so I figured I might go in town with the kids as well. I have to shop for food anyway, also Cade has therapy. I will hit the dollar store and pick up one present a piece for the kids. I got Connor a new backpack at wal-mart last week. Both straps on his broke so I just gave it to him. He knows it's his present. It was a needed item, nothing fun but he seemed to be pretty happy with it. I got stocking stuffers last week from the dollar store when I got the presents for the xmas party. I got some food cards to the grocery store so I think I will use them to get something non food related there. I have food stamps for food and I always make it stretch because I don't always get food from the major food store.

One place I go to about once every two months is a warehouse place. I don't go often because I have to take the highway to get there and it takes a huge chunk of my time. Anyway, it has some past date stuff that is still really good and stuff that wasn't selling for whatever reason at a major chain store. I can get 5 bags of food for $20. What's even better for me now is I can use the food stamps there too. I used to shop there anyway pre food stamp days so I don't feel like crap having to shop there. Just savvy. There is another place I go that has meats and veggies and stuff you can't get at the warehouse place. I also go to the day old bread outlets. I love my freezer. It takes a whole day to do this hop and shop deal but I save money in the long run. I pick a day or schedule a day to do it doesn't get in the way of work or appointments. I like the fact people give me food cards because it shows they care and it's not really just for me I know but the kids as well. I would prefer a card to wal-mart or something like that though. People seem to forget about the fact that you can't get things like toilet paper, diapers, laundry soap, toothpaste and stuff like that with food stamps. You know what else is odd? You can't get hot food with them either. *shrug*

Maybe there should be a program for that kind of stuff? There are places I go to as well for food like food banks but I would be better off to pay things like rent, oil and electricity if I had help for that. Even when Sofie was little and we were in this program for women and infants that gave us coupons for milk, formula, and things like that it never included diapers and wipes. I just think it's a little weird.

I had some free yarn and made a hat. I really stink at it but I finished it and donated it for the homeless. I try and give back, especially since I have had to take so much the past two years. I also got the kids to spend a dollar a piece for a new toy at the dollar store and we donated those as well to toys for tots. We have done that every year since the boys were small. No matter how hard up we are some people are worse than us. We have done a lot more in the past but since my own kids are getting dollar store stuff there isn't much to be said about it I guess. I am feeling good about it though. Cade did do some shopping at goodwill and got some nice things for Sofie and his brothers.

We will be separated for xmas eve and that hurts more than anything. It will be my first time ever away from Cade and Sofie. I really find myself crossing that line and hating Sean for it. Hate is a strong word and I don't like using it especially on a holiday. I will be selfish and say I wish the kids were all together for the holiday. Sean is the one who chose to leave so he should have to wait to see them is my opinion. Is it really better for the kids to see him and be torn apart just to satisfy his needs? I admit I am feeling selfish too and want them here but at least I am trying to think of them too. To wake up on Christmas morning in their own beds where they spend most of their time. With all their family (except their dad of course but that's his choice) around them. Just something else to have to get used to and adapt. It's bad enough knowing Will is most likely not going to be around for many more xmas's with us. I would like for Sofie to maybe have a memory or two of all her brothers around her. I remember when I was 4. Maybe she will too. I am sure this is a big cause of my funk lately.

I have to get Will a birthday present. He is going to be 17! When did that happen? I am making him a cake so that is one present. I try and keep his birthday totally separate from Christmas as possible. It's his day and I know it can get annoying to see it doubled up with xmas presents. I also don't give him less on Christmas because he got some presents only two days before. I have no idea what to get this time. *sigh*

1 comments:

Carol said...

This year what few presents there are will be from a thrift shop. I already got DD a skirt and top, and DH two coffee mugs.

I am going to write a letter to my mother in law, telling her how much I appreciate her and love her--I am so grateful for the help she's given us lately, and it probably won't be the last time.

I had really wanted to get DD one of those portable DVD players. She's not allowed to have a TV in her room (and we don't get any non-cable signal anyhow, and we don't have TV at all right now) but I know it would sure be nice for me if she would go into her darn room and watch a movie. I don't know if I can justify buying one, though. We'll see....

I don't know if you have any "little" thrift shops around where you live, but I've found that the church ones and the "family charity" thrift stores really have much better prices than Goodwill. I got DD's skirt and top for $1.25 total. Three years ago, I was still shopping at thrift stores, but only for things that were "outstanding". Now I buy things because I have no other option. Even WalMart clothes cost too much. So I know what you mean.

I wish there was one of those warehouse stores around where I live....the closest thing, I think, is Aldi and that's an hour away.

DH's brother's birthday is Dec. 24. He always gets stuck with "lumping" it in with Christmas. And I don't know what I can get him, either--for Christmas or for his birthday. He likes Anime and is very artistic and creative....not sure what to do...it'll all work out, though....

Boy am I chatty tonite. For once.

If I were you, despite the fact that I also dislike using the word "hate", I would find it very difficult not to hate Sean. You should not have to live like you are, worry like you do....shame on him.

Template by:
Free Blog Templates